Cisco Anyconnect is one of the most popular VPN clients available in the market, and many users rely on it to access remote networks securely. However, Cisco Anyconnect is not without its issues, and users may experience various errors when attempting to use it in Windows 11.
If you are having issues with getting Cisco Anyconnect to work, you are at the right place. In this guide, we’ll show you how you can fix those issues and get Cisco Anyconnect working back again. So, without further ado, let’s get started.
What Causes Cisco Anyconnect to Not Work?
There are several possible causes of Cisco Anyconnect not working, including:
- Incorrect Network Configuration
- Server Issues
- Firewall Issues
- Corrupted Files
- Outdated App
- Outdated network drivers
Fix Cisco Anyconnect Not Working in Windows 11
Fortunately, it is pretty easy to fix Cisco Anyconnect not working. Although there are several solutions for this issue, we have compiled the best solutions here. Make sure to try all the solutions for the best results.
1. Make Sure You Have The Latest Version of Cisco Anyconnect
If you are experiencing this issue, it is important to ensure you have the latest version of Cisco Anyconnect installed. This is because Cisco often releases updates to the software that address known issues. So, if you have an older version of the software, you may be missing out on a critical fix that could resolve the issue.
To check which version of Cisco Anyconnect you have installed, open the software and look for the version number in the about section. You can then compare this number to the latest version listed on the Cisco website. If your version is out-of-date, you should download and install the most recent version.
Once you have updated your version of Cisco Anyconnect, you should restart your computer to ensure that the new version has been properly installed. After this, you should test the software to ensure it is working correctly. If the issue persists, you may need to contact your IT department for additional help.
2. Repair The Installation
If you are still having trouble, there are a few steps you can take to try to repair the installation and get the system back up and running.
1. Press the Windows key + Q and search for “Control Panel.” Click on the first search result.
2. Click on the Programs option.
3. Next, click Programs and Features.
4. Find and select Cisco Anyconnect.
5. Click Repair on the top. If you don’t see the option, select Change/Remove and then Repair. Follow the on-screen prompts to finish the repair.
Once you have repaired the installation, Cisco Anyconnect should be up and running again. However, if the issue persists, move down to the following solution.
3. Reset Network Settings
You can also try resetting the network settings on your computer. Resetting network settings will reset the network configuration to its original state, allowing you to connect again. To reset the network settings in Windows 11, follow the steps below:
1. Go to the Start menu and type “Settings” in the search box.
2. Select “Network & internet” from the left pane.
3. Click Advanced network settings.
4. On the next page, click Network reset.
5. Select “Reset Now” to reset the network settings.
6. Click Yes if prompted.
7. Your system will reboot, and all your network settings will be back to default.
Once the network settings have been reset, you should be able to connect to the Cisco Anyconnect VPN client again. If you continue to experience problems connecting to the VPN client, it may be necessary to restart your computer and try again.
If resetting the network settings does not fix the issue, it may be necessary to update the Cisco Anyconnect client to the latest version.
4. Allow Cisco Anyconnect in Firewall Settings
If the above steps don’t work, you can try disabling the Windows Firewall setting. It is important to ensure that the Cisco AnyConnect software is allowed through the firewall settings on Windows 11. Here’s how:
1. Open Settings. You can do that by pressing the Windows key + I on your keyboard.
2. From the left pane, select Privacy & security.
3. On the next window, click Windows security.
4. Click on Firewall and Network Protection option to access the firewall settings.
5. Click on the “Allow an app through the firewall” option. A new window will open where you can see the programs you would have allowed through the Firewall.
6. To add Cisco Anyconnect, click on Change settings.
7. Then, click “Allow another app…” to proceed.
8. Paste the path of Cisco Anyconnect or click Browse and add it to the Firewall.
9. If you don’t know the file location of Cisco Anyconnect, just search for it using the Start menu and click on Open file location.
10. Next, click on the address bar and copy the file location.
11. Paste it in the Path field or the address bar of the Browse window.
12. Finally, click Add.
13. Check the boxes next to the Private and Public networks. This will allow the program to access the internet on both networks.
14. Close the window and restart your computer.
5. Update VPN Drivers
This issue can also be caused by outdated VPN drivers and can be easily fixed by updating your VPN drivers. Here’s how to update your system’s VPN driver.
1. Open Device Manager. To do this, press the Windows key + X, then select “Device Manager”. This will open a list of all the devices connected to your computer.
2. Find the category labelled “Network Adapters” and click on it to expand the list of available network adapters.
3. Next, locate the network adapter associated with your VPN. Depending on your device, it may be labelled as a “Cisco Anyconnect VPN Adapter” or something similar.
4. Right-click on the device and select “Update Driver” from the menu. You can then choose to either search the internet for the most up-to-date driver or manually specify the driver from your computer.
After updating the driver, you will need to restart your computer. This will ensure that the new driver is installed and that all the necessary components are up and running. Once your computer has restarted, you can try connecting to your VPN again.
6. Disable IPV6
IPv6 has become the preferred protocol for accessing the internet, as it provides more addresses than the older IPv4 protocol. Unfortunately, the Cisco Anyconnect VPN client does not always work as expected when IPv6 is enabled on Windows 11.
Fortunately, there is an easy solution to this problem: disabling IPV6. Disabling IPV6 on Windows 11 is a simple process that involves a few steps. Here’s how to disable IPV6 on Windows 11.
1. Open Settings. You can do that by pressing the Windows key + I on your keyboard.
2. Next, click on Network & internet from the left pane.
3. Click on Advanced network settings.
4. Next, click on “More network adapter options.”
5. Right-click your current connection and then click on Properties.
6. Once the Properties window opens, click on the Networking tab.
7. Uncheck the Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) checkbox and click OK.
At this point, IPV6 should be disabled on your machine. You can check this by running the command “ipconfig /all” (without quotes) in the Command Prompt window. If IPV6 is disabled, you should see the following message: “IPv6 is disabled.”
Once IPV6 is disabled, you should be able to use the Cisco Anyconnect VPN client without any issues. It is important to note that you may need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
7. Perform a Clean Reinstallation of Cisco
If none of the above fixes works, you may need to perform a clean reinstallation of Cisco. This process is relatively straightforward and can be done in a few simple steps.
Uninstall Cisco Anyconnect
The first step is to uninstall Cisco Anyconnect from your computer. Here’s how:
1. Press the Windows key + Q and search “Control Panel.” Click on the first search result.
2. Under the Programs option, select Uninstall a program.
3. Find and select Cisco Anyconnect.
4. Click Uninstall on the top of the screen.
5. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the uninstallation.
Clean Up the Registry
Once you have uninstalled Cisco Anyconnect, you will need to clean up the registry. This step is important for ensuring that all traces of the software are removed from your system. Follow these steps to clean the registry for Cisco Anyconnect.
1. Go to the Start menu and type “Regedit” in the search bar.
2. Once you have opened the registry editor, navigate to the following key:
3. Once you are here, right-click the entire folder and select “Delete.”
Download and Install the Latest Version of Cisco Anyconnect
Now that the registry has been cleaned up, you will need to download and install the latest version of Cisco Anyconnect. To do this:
1. Go to the Cisco website and download the most recent version of the software.
2. Once the download is complete, double-click the installer to begin the installation process.
3. Follow the instructions to complete the installation.
Test Cisco Anyconnect
Now that the installation is complete, you will need to test Cisco Anyconnect. To do this, open the application and try to connect to a secure network. If the connection is successful, then the issue is resolved. If the connection fails, then you may need to contact Cisco for further assistance.
By following these steps, you should be able to perform a clean reinstallation of Cisco and fix any issues with Cisco Anyconnect not working. This process should only take a few minutes and can be done relatively easily.
What is Cisco Anyconnect?
Cisco Anyconnect is a software application that enables remote users to securely connect to a remote network. It provides a secure virtual private network (VPN) connection to corporate networks, allowing remote users to access network resources.
What causes Cisco Anyconnect not to work?
Cisco Anyconnect can fail to work due to several reasons, such as improper configuration, outdated drivers, outdated software, and incorrect credentials.
How can I fix Cisco Anyconnect not working?
To fix Cisco Anyconnect not working, you should check the credentials, ensure the operating system is compatible, update the software, and check the firewall settings. Additionally, you should also make sure the network you are trying to connect to is available.
Cisco Anyconnect not working can be a frustrating issue for many users. Fortunately, there are a few simple steps that you can take to troubleshoot and fix the issue. By following the instructions above, you should be able to get Cisco Anyconnect up and running in no time.
Don’t forget to double-check your network settings and make sure that your firewall is not blocking the connection. With these tips, you should be able to get your Cisco Anyconnect connection back up and running quickly and easily.